Monday, November 20, 2006

Snowflakes Falling

Our first Christmas craft of the year is dough ornaments. We had a friend over on saturday, occupied Corrina with toys, and rolled, cut, painted and glittered the day away.
Here is the process:
Dough: mix 1 cup salt with 1 1/2 cups hot water. Mix in 4 cups flour. Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is moldable. Add more flour if it is too sticky or add a few drops of water if the dough is dry and cracking.
Roll out and cut with cookie cutters, or mold into your own wonderful little creations!

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, flipping half way through.
The finished product:Let the Magic Making begin!

9 comments:

Tricia said...

You're a dork Janie. I've often thought about making a knitting blog, but I've read some of them, and I don't fit with them. Besides I don't knit things fast enough (largley due to financial constraints) to have an interesting knitting blog.

AndreaLea said...

I really like your dough ornaments. So pretty!

Robyn said...

great idea! I will have to try that as an after school craft!!

Sue said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH THESE ARE MAGNIFICENT!so gorgeous! wow.

what a tree-hanging-delight!

Claire Colvin said...

Wow so pretty! I want to come over and do Christmas crafts. I tried crocheting some snowflakes but the thread was so tiny it was making me crazy. Dough snowflakes might be the way to go.

Robyn said...

I forgot to ask you where to find such a great cookie cutter! I would love to get my hands on one of those!
I think I have been collecting cookie cutters for too long!

maria enns said...

JANIE!!
I love the decorations! GOSH!
I think I should come over and make some with you, to hang on my little tree!!!! We set our little christmas tree up the other day - very cute in the corner!
sheesh, I need to have you over in a serious way...
WHEN IN LIFE DO I GET TIME!?!?!
sucks.
but okay! the snowflakes are so amazing!

and our tree is blue and white - so I would even make EXACTLY THAT!!! And we could hang them WHEREVER!!! are you catching my enthusiasm here...?

hopefully talk to you soon...
mariajane.

that's us... said...

your ornaments are awesome- i'm inspired!

Claire Colvin said...

I second the "where did you get such a cool set of snowflake cookie cutters?" question. I am sitting here imagining Christmas craft imaginings but I don't have any snowflake-shaped cutters. I was thinking how pretty it would be to make a whole bunch of them and then hang them off the mantel in varying lengths of ribbon.